Events Privacy Notice
This privacy notice was updated on 1 May 2021.
Following signatory of the constitutive treaty, The Convention Establishing the Square Kilometre Array, and subsequent entry into force of that Convention on 15th January 2021, SKA Observatory has been established as an international intergovernmental organisation. As an intergovernmental organisation, the SKA Observatory (“SKAO”) is not legally bound by UK data protection legislation. However, the SKAO intends to follow the principle of data protection legislation within our member states, including the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), as much as possible. This Privacy Notice explains what you should expect in relation to personal information about you which is collected, handled, and processed by the SKAO.
We acknowledge and agree that any personal data of yours that we handle will be processed in the spirit of the General Data Protection Regulation.
To ensure that we process your personal data fairly we will inform you of information such as:
- Why we collect your data
- How it will be used
- Who it will be shared with
What is this privacy notice for?
This privacy notice explains how we use your data in relation to your attendance to an event at or hosted by SKAO.
What personal data will be processed?
The personal data we process will be:
- The information you provide in order to register for an event, and may include:
- Your title and name, and contact details such as your postal address, email or telephone number
- Your job title and role
- Any disabilities we need to take into consideration
- Nationality/country of residence
- Any dietary requirements
- Records of communications sent to you by SKAO or that we receive from you in relation to an event you will attend/have attended
What is the purpose of the processing?
SKAO will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To reserve a place for you at the event
- To provide you with information about the event and the participants of the event for which you have registered, that includes event updates, and possible changes, cancellation or similar information
- To provide you with information about accessibility, transportation, parking, etc. that may impact your attendance to the event
- To align with legislation, for example, under public safety legislation
- To monitor the effectiveness of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the SKAO and across the events SKAO organises; note that any data used for this purpose are anonymised
- To create a publishable list of participants registered to attend each event, which shall contain only your name and any organisation you represent
What is the basis of the processing?
We ask for your consent to process your personal data for the purposes set out above, and you can withdraw your consent at any time, except as set out below.
When we use your data we do so on the basis that this is necessary:
- To align with legislation
- To protect an attendee’s vital interests
- To enable tasks to be carried out in the public interest
- Where the SKAO has a legitimate interest
We will only process your Special Category data (sensitive information about you, for example any allergies or other dietary requirements) with your explicit consent or if it is necessary:
- For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
- Very occasionally, when it is needed to protect your or another person’s vital interests and you are not capable of giving your consent (for example, in an emergency)
- Archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes
Who will your personal data be shared with?
Within SKAO, your data is shared only with those staff who need access for the processing purposes set out above.
We may share some of the information with external organisations providing services for the event you are attending, in particular we may share your information (including dietary requirements) with catering service if you are attending an event where catering is offered. Data shared with external organisations in the context of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion work and analysis would be anonymised.
Selected events listed on the indico.skatelescope.org website publicly display the names of participants. This includes past events. Please contact email@example.com if you do not wish your name to be displayed, or you wish for your name to be removed from an existing participants list.
How long is your data kept?
SKAO will retain your personal information where there is an ongoing legitimate business need to do so. In order to determine the retention period, SKAO will consider whether there is a contractual need to retain the data, and whether the data is necessary to continue to provide event services to you.
You may request that we delete your personal data at any time.
Under the GDPR you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. The SKAO will seek to honour these rights as far as possible.
You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
Where you have provided consent for the processing of your data, you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
You have the right to lodge a complaint to the SKAO if you believe that we have not processed your personal data fairly and in the spirit of the GDPR or other relevant data protection within our member states legislation.
The Data Controller is SKA Observatory. You can contact SKA Observatory at:
Data Protection Officer
The Data Protection Officer is responsible for advising the SKAO regarding compliance with Data Protection legislation and monitoring its performance against it.
If you wish to contact us regarding your data or lodge a complaint, the Data Protection Officer is Samantha Lloyd. Samantha can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to Samantha at the above address.
We reserve the right to change these data protection provisions, at any time, effective for the future.
Noting SKAO’s legal status as an intergovernmental organisation, nothing in this Privacy Notice will be deemed or interpreted as a waiver, express or implied, of any privileges or immunities accorded to SKAO by its constituent documents or under international public law.