Contact: The SKA Magazine
Contact is the SKA Magazine. Published by the SKA Organisation’s Communications team, it brings together and covers the broad range of SKA activities taking place around the world in a single publication. It was designed for the digital age from the start, and is only available in electronic format. Contact is published via the electronic publishing platform Issuu and comes out in early March, June, September, and December.
Note: If you are unable to access Issuu or would like to access previous publications, you can view the PDF files below:
If you would like to print Contact, print-ready files are available below. To maintain the magazine’s look and feel, we would recommend printing in A4 format with the following specifications: Cover 250gsm glossy, Inner covers 150gsm glossy, Printed full colour and Saddle stitched.
Contact: The SKA magazine
Published by the SKAO Communications team.
Editor: William Garnier
Editorial team: Mathieu Isidro, Joe Diamond, Cassandra Cavallaro
Design: Joe Diamond
Based on original design from Carbon Creative.
Submitting an article to Contact
We are eager to showcase the breadth of activities taking place across the SKA world, and as such welcome contributions to Contact from our community! Whether you’re a scientist, engineer, policy-maker, journalist, PhD student or outreach specialist working on or with the SKA, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
If you’d like to contribute, please first submit your idea to the SKAO Communications team for discussion at email@example.com. We will advise you on the best format for your contribution. You can send your ideas at any time, but bear in mind our deadline for submissions is a month before publication. SKAO’s Communications team reserve the right to edit and publish contributions at a suitable time, in consultation with the authors.
Once your idea has been accepted, you will be requested to submit your contribution via a submission form, following the below guidelines. Contributions sent via any other means will not be accepted.
- Your submission should be directly linked to the SKA. The connection should be made clear in the text and expanded upon as much as possible.
- The SKA readership includes people from many different countries, backgrounds and areas of expertise, including scientists, engineers, policy-makers, administrators, journalists, students, etc. Articles should therefore be written in plain English for a general audience. Scientific jargon and acronyms should be avoided or explained.
- Include a short, clear title as well as descriptive captions in plain english and credits for each image or figure. Images should be attached as separate files and submitted in high resolution.
Contributions may be submitted into one of the following categories:
- Features (Focus on & Insight): Double spread pieces taking an in-depth look at a science result, technology innovation, major event etc. (max. 700 words).
- News & summaries (In Brief & Events): half-page or single spread round-ups of recent happenings e.g. scientific awards, noteworthy meetings, etc. (around 250 words).
- Featured images and videos: Eye-catching images or videos along with a brief caption (max. 250 words) and credit details. Including, but not limited to, technology, science results, precursors and pathfinders, SKA sites, etc.
- Partner publications: We will be pleased to feature links to your SKA-related newsletters – send us a link to the most recent edition.
- Upcoming events: Let us know the name, date and purpose of the event, and how the SKA is involved in it (e.g. speakers).